Education is the best treasure you can give to your children which is critically useful in securing their future.
Indeed, there are a few public or state-funded schools which provide good quality of education to students. However, a lot of you will be fighting in availing those slots which will be tiresome on your part.
In contrast, in private schools, still, there will be several of you who want your children to be enrolled in that institution. But at least, you are assured that these academic institutions have well-equipped resources to cater to a handful population of students.
Many of the parents today have realized the benefits of letting their kids go to private schools. For you to further understand, we will share the benefits of investing a premium quality of education for your children.
Private Elementary Schools
Private Elementary Schools are academic institutions offering primary education from first grade up to fifth grade. Students at this academic level are approximately between ages 10 to 11 years.
Students at this academic phase have different levels of learning which need great attention from the teacher. Different schools have varying pedagogies in their primary education.
However, the main purpose of an elementary school is to teach the fundamental subjects such as Science, Mathematics, English, Physical Education, Arts, Music, and Social Studies. Moreover, value or personality formation is also developed at this academic level.
The sources of funds for operating a private elementary school mainly come from tuition fees and some donations from other public or private groups. These types of schools have great autonomy in establishing its own standards for teachers and education to maintain top quality.
Private Middle Schools
Private Middle School is also called Junior High School which is privately funded from parents and other stakeholders to sustain its annual operation.
This academic institution provides education between 6th up to 8th grade. The approximate age of students at this academic level is between 11 to 14 years.
There are various subjects taught in middle school and most are similar to elementary subjects but of higher difficulty level. The simple and single subjects from elementary are divided into a more specific and detailed one in this level. For instance, mathematics in middle school is separated into geometry, calculus, algebra, and trigonometry.
Consequently, the main purpose of middle school is to provide an effective bridge for the student’s smooth transition from elementary to high school.
Moreover, this stage is slightly complex because students are also in the transition state towards adolescence. Thus, teachers in this academic phase combine both learning strategies from high school and elementary level.
Advantages of a Private School
A huge number of parents are already moving towards enrolling their children in private schools due to their benefits and quality education. It is only right for you to know what benefits your children will gain from going to this institution.
Quality education must not be treated as an expense, rather as an investment for the welfare and future of your children. In the succeeding sections, we are going to discuss the benefits and reasons why parents move their children to private schools.
Why Do Parents Send Their Child to Private School?
Here, we are going to discuss the important reasons why parents send their kids to private academic institutions.
- Excellent Education Standards: These private academic institutions are autonomous in establishing their own educational standards which they keep updated to provide graduates with outstanding global qualifications.
Most of them provide challenging co-curricular activities, International Baccalaureate program and others to make students stand out in any standardized exams and other activities.
Moreover, they have sufficient funds allocated to providing quality facilities to supplement the learning experience.
- Smaller Student Population: Enrolling in private schools is expensive compared to public or charter schools. Consequently, only a few numbers of people are financially capable of going into these kinds of academic institutions.
In line with this, a smaller class size means that students are given sufficient attention by the teacher to definitely ensure learning is happening. Likewise, the teacher can better handle things and design a customized teaching strategy suitable for the learners.
- Specialized Classes: To further prepare students from the real world, some private schools offer specialized classes aside from the basic ones that need to be offered for every grade level.
- Open Communication with Parents: It has been a common practice among private academic institutions to ultimately involve parents in their child’s learning. This is done by several teacher-parent talks, family bonding in school activities, and participation of parents in school-related activities which aims to raise funds for improving the school facilities.
- Excellent Teachers: Private schools have the reserved right to craft standards in choosing quality and professional educators. These teachers have excellent academic qualifications and are well-trained in crafting effective teaching strategies to instill learning in various learners.
Likewise, these teachers undergo annual training and assessment to ensure if they are still competent in teaching students. Other schools even give scholarships to their teachers to pursue further studies to improve skills and competencies.
- Safe and Conducive Environment: These schools implement strict rules in regulating behavior and promoting high moral standards among students, teachers, and non-teaching staff.
Likewise, their curriculum and activities incorporate the exercise of social responsibility, discipline, honesty, and respect. They mold students in becoming an intelligent and morally-imbued member of society.
- Excellent Facilities: These schools have almost complete facilities which are vital in supplementing an efficient learning experience for the learners. Some of these facilities include an auditorium, covered and open court, swimming pools, laboratories, and gym.
- Varied Extracurricular Activities: Basic education is still the main priority for any school. However, in order to strike a balance between academics and special skills, various extracurricular activities are implemented in private schools.
These other school-related activities can involve arts, music, sports, or other school clubs.
Why is Private School Better than Public?
There are several factors to compare why private schools are better than public schools. Consequently, these factors have a varying degree of influence for every parent. To further understand why it is better, below are some of the reasons:
- Private Schools Have Smaller Class Size: Only a few people are financially capable to enroll their kids in these kinds of academics institutions. Smaller class size can have both positive and negative effects.
One benefit is the learners are more able to reach out for their teachers to ask for assistance and supplement when needed. In contrast, public schools have a huge student population, thus, the teacher cannot fully give ample time to each student as this will make them inefficient.
- Private Schools Provide More Options for Academic Advancement: Most private schools have a wide network of opportunities and programs to enhance the competitiveness of their graduates. Some of the common programs offered for advancement include the International Baccalaureate program and Advanced Placement.
Likewise, most students coming from private schools have excellent reputations from hitting the top spot in standardized tests and global education standards.
Meanwhile, public school’s programs for academic advancement are mostly dependent on the available resources allocated by the state and federal government. Likewise, there are very limited slots available, making the competition really hard for all learners.
- Private Schools Offer More Extracurricular Activities: Public schools still has extracurricular activities but mostly limited to what facilities are available and still usable for it. In contrast, private schools have almost various kinds of facilities to foster the different skills and competencies of students.
- Private Schools have Greater Autonomy in Managing their Curriculum: Private Schools are mainly funded by tuition fees and some donations from various groups. Consequently, this allows them to be extremely flexible in designing their own curriculum to fit the market demand. Further, there is lesser bureaucracy from drafting towards the implementation of a new curriculum.
In contrast, public schools are financially sustained by state and federal funds and subsidized tuition fees from parents. This means that crafting a curriculum is mainly dependent on state regulations. Moreover, it undergoes several steps before coming to the implementation stage.
How Are Private Schools Funded in the United States
The financial sustenance for the operation of any private schools is supported by three sources: tuition fees, fundraisers, and endowments. Considering they do not receive funds from the state government, they are not obliged to follow school mandates implemented by the state.
- Tuition Fees: Parents who send their kids to private schools are required to pay a certain amount to cover materials and facilities to be used for teaching. These amounts can vary from specific schools and it can be either an annual or semestral payment.
- Fundraisers: A few private schools also solicit money from groups or individuals through a fundraising activity either through selling goods or theatrical presentations done by students.
Endowments: This third source of funds for private schools come from large companies or rich individuals. This can either be in a form of good or cash given to the school. Examples can be a school building, equipment, facilities, or financial instruments where only the interest is given to the school for financing activities.
Private School VS. Public School
Choosing the right school for your children is a matter of personal choice. However, the decision is not a straightforward one because of the numerous things to be considered. Nevertheless, the bottom line is to ensure quality education is provided to your kids.
Understanding which one is better means knowing the pros and cons of each type. Below are some of the common pros and cons of each type of school.
Pros of Private Schools
- More involvement of parents in school-related activities
- The smaller class size which means more time to be allotted per student
- Numerous academic programs for advancement
- High credibility for global academic standards
- More extracurricular activities for students to choose
- Credible and competent teachers
- Easy revision, design, and implementation of the new curriculum
Cons of Private Schools
- Expensive tuition fees
- More difficult entrance exams
Pros of Public Schools
- Lower to zero tuition fees
- Also has specialized programs for other skills to prepare students for the real world
- Some do not have entrance exams
- Competent teachers
- Known public schools have better facilities that are comparable to private schools
- Several public schools are located near urban and rural areas which makes it more accessible for students
Cons of Public Schools
- Larger student population
- Some public schools have a low-end quality of education due to lack of government funds
- Some have a lesser number of facilities to supplement the learning experience
Private School Fees
The cost of education for private school is higher compared to public schools. In addition, tuition fee varies on the location of the school and the facilities present.
Sometimes people think that going to private schools is an unnecessary luxury. However, I would say nothing can go wrong for investing in high-quality education for the better future of your children.
For the year 2018 to 2019, the average tuition fee for private schools is around $10,671 every year.
Meanwhile, for private elementary school, the average tuition fee is around $7,770 to $9,631 every year. Furthermore, for private high school that would be around $13,030 to $14,575 every year.
Private school tuition fee varies in every state. To show further examples, below are some of the annual average tuition fees for some states.
- California: $11,004 to $13,883
- Arizona: $5,893 to $10,783
- Arkansas: $4,621 to $5,690
- Alabama: $6,407 to $7,254
These tuition fees can still change depending on the economic status of the state and the country as well.
Is Private School Tuition Really Worth it
This question does not have a straightforward answer, as this becomes unique to each individual. In public schools, the tuition is definitely lower compared to private academic institutions. However, everything boils down to quality and if you are willing to invest for quality education.
Public schools still provide quality education to several learners and a huge population are enjoying from it. However, if you want your child to have an extra competitive advantage, then going to private schools is a good option.
Tuition fee is indeed expensive for private schools. But if you take a closer look at the curriculum, facilities, and learning experience it can provide for your children, you would surely say it is worth every penny.
Some of the major benefits your child gets from private school include:
- Qualification and education which is globally recognized by other countries
- Customized learnings through specialized subjects which adds skills and competence upon joining the real world scenario
- Good social communication skills and values incorporated in the curriculum
- An effective balance between academics and other skills such as music, arts, and sports
- Top caliber teachers with masters and doctoral degree
- A good network of opportunities for parents and the learner
Hopefully, we have given you enough details and information on whether enrolling for private school is a good or great choice for your children’s future.